Friday, November 21, 2014

Corporal James

Last week as we were waiting for someone at the airport, we almost got a ticket for parking on a double yellow line that did not exist.  The officer was not very pleasant and we had to talk a blue streak to get him to not give one to us.

Today, we had to go to the airport again and guess who was on duty?!  We pulled up in the loading zone and he came over (to ask us to move, because they always do.)  We were looking at the arrival board and it said that the flight was on time but there was no Sister Shirts.  He was kind enough to go to the desk and ask the airline when the flight would be in.  It would be another hour so we left. 

We came back an hour later and the same thing happened.  He came to ask us to move, we asked him if the flight was in, he found out it would be yet another hour and a half so we left again.

I started thinking about him.  We are going to be seeing him a lot so I thought we should try to become friends.

The last time we went, another officer came up and asked us to move and I asked her if I could talk to that other nice young officer.  He came over and I told him that we appreciated that he was just doing his job the other day.  That we were still learning things because we are new here and appreciated his patience.  I told him that I hoped we could be friends because we would be seeing a lot of each other.  I told him my name and asked him for his.  He said it was Corporal James.  Then he told us we could park in the staff parking lot until our Sister missionary arrived.  That was so nice!  So we did.  I hope we have made a friend.

I had to swallow my pride a bit.  We were not in the wrong when he tried to give us the ticket.  The pictures clearly show that there were no double yellow lines where we were parked.  (Those are his feet in the first picture.)  I realized that it is more important to be friendly than right.   Many things are more important than being right.  I learned a lesson today.  Have you?

We love YOU!


No comments: