Saturday, November 29, 2014

The Reason for the Season

What can I give Him,
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd
I would bring a lamb.
If I were a Wise Man
I would do my part,
Yet what can I give Him?
Give my heart.
(Christina Georgina Rossetti)

President Monson tells this story about a Christmas when he was a boy.

"Christmastime had come. We were preparing for the oven a gigantic turkey and anticipating the savory feast that awaited. A neighborhood pal of mine asked a startling question: “What does turkey taste like?”  I responded, “Oh, about like chicken tastes.” Again a question: “What does chicken taste like?”  It was then that I realized my friend had never eaten chicken or turkey. I asked what his family was going to have for Christmas dinner. There was no prompt response, just a downcast glance and the comment, “I dunno. There’s nothing in the house.”  I pondered a solution. There was none. I had no turkeys, no chickens, no money. Then I remembered I did have two pet rabbits. Immediately I took them to my friend and handed the box to him with the comment, “Here, take these two rabbits. They’re good to eat—just like chicken.”  He took the box, climbed the fence, and headed for home—a Christmas dinner safely assured. Tears came easily to me as I closed the door to the empty rabbit hutch. But I was not sad. A warmth, a feeling of indescribable joy, filled my heart. It was a memorable Christmas."

Christmas is a time to remember the birth of Jesus Christ.  It's his birthday.  It is always nice to get gifts on your birthday, isn't it?  Have you thought about what kind of gift you could give to Jesus for His birthday?

Here are a few ideas that you could give for a gift:

Say prayers every morning or every night, or both!
Read the scriptures every day.

Or choose something from this list to do.  You could even make up a little calendar and write down what you do each day.  On Christmas Eve, you can look at your list and know that you have truly given a gift to Jesus.  

Always remember that we love YOU!

 


No comments: