Saturday, August 22, 2015

I saved a life today

Well, each of us did!  And it was really a blessing when we really needed one.  We have been going through some hard things.  Really hard.  And it has been constant for over three months.  It gets to be a little wearing.  Today, for me (Gremma), I just had to leave the office.  I could not do one.more.thing.  Grandpa came home for a little while and we decided to go for a walk along the beach.  It was almost sunset and there are some nice places to sit and think and enjoy the beauties that God put here for us.  We sat there for a while and then started walking back.  We came across a lady with a baby turtle in her hand!  Just to give you a little background, turtles come up on shore between May and October to lay eggs.  These are pretty good sized turtles.  I have not seen a mama turtle yet, but we see their tracks quite often and I would guess that they are about 3 feet long and 2 feet wide.  Anyway, they try to find a place to lay their eggs and then swim back to sea.  Several weeks later the eggs hatch and the babies must find their way back to sea.

Tonight, there were a bunch of little turtles who were on the wrong side of the boardwalk.  I don't know how the mother would have been able to cross over the rocks and the boardwalk and dig a hole in the very hard ground there.  But she must have!  Because there were a dozen or more trying to find their way to safety.  There was a young woman there who was searching for them.  She found one and gave it to Grandpa and we hurried to the ocean to let it live.  It seemed pretty grateful!

Grandpa had to go back to the office but I stayed.  And looked.  And looked.  And looked.  Finally the lady found another one and handed it to me!  What a wonderful feeling to be given a chance to help something so helpless!  That would surely die if someone did not reach out a hand to save it!

I hurried to the ocean and set it on the sand.  It scurried to the water and swam easily out to sea.  Hopefully it will grow up to be a good turtle.

This experience didn't really change my day, but it did change my attitude.  I went from feeling like a failure, to feeling like I had done something very worthwhile.

Now please don't think that I am unhappy.  We still know we are supposed to be doing this.  But it is hard.  Very hard.  I am just grateful that the Lord allows these little moments of brightness to carry us through.

The church is true and the book is blue.  I know that.  I am grateful for it.

Please always remember that we love YOU and are so grateful for your faithfulness!

 Just look at that cute baby turtle!


 OK, here you go, now find the water!


 You are almost there!


Swim, buddy, swim!


 This is what they would have had to climb over, then cross, and then get over a lot of big rocks before getting to the ocean.


I tried to take a picture while I was carrying him to safety.

No comments: